Description: Oil on canvas. 39×56 cm. Signed and dated lower right: “H. C. Harvey 1908”. Artist or Maker: Harold Charles Francis Harvey Literature: In a golden frame. 48×65 cm.
Harold Harvey (1874–1941) was a Newlyn School painter who painted scenes of working class Cornish fishermen, farmers and miners and Cornish landscapes. He was born in Penzance and trained at the Penzance School of Arts under Norman Garstin and the Académie Julian in Paris (1894–1896).
After completing his schooling in Paris, Harvey returned to Penzance and began working with Norman Garstin. His works included landscapes and life settings of his native Cornwall, religious themes and interiors. He used oil and watercolour paints.
From 1909 to 1913, he was an Associate of the Royal Cambrian Academy of Art, Conwy and, in 1910, he was a member of the South Wales Art Society. From about 1910 and into the early 1930s, he was a member of the Newlyn Society of Artists, particularly with artists from the Lamorna valley.
His work was exhibited starting in 1895 as follows:
In Whitechapel, other locations in Britain, Pittsburgh and Venice
1895 – Newlyn Art Gallery
1899 – Newlyn Art Gallery
1909 – Newlyn Art Gallery – he had his first gallery sale
1913 – Mendoza Gallery, London
1914 – Newlyn Art Gallery
1918 – Leicester Galleries, London – with Gertrude
1920 – Leicester Galleries, London – with Gertrude
1921 – Newlyn Art Gallery
1921-1941 – Royal Academy
1924-1928 – Newlyn Art Gallery
1924 – Oldham Municipal Gallery Spring Exhibition
1927 – Leicester Galleries, London
1932 – Barbizon House, London
1937 – Bristol
1939 – Bristol
1979 – Artists of the Newlyn School, Part 1
1985 – Artists of the Newlyn School, Part 2
1987 – Looking West, Newlyn Art Gallery and Royal Cambrian Academy
1989 – A Century of Art in Cornwall 1889-1989, Truro, CCC Centennial
1992 – Artists from Cornwall, 1992 Royal West of England Academy, Bristol